What is Forest Schools?
Forest School is a unique method of Outdoor Education that allows children to develop confidence, independence, self-esteem and awareness and knowledge of the natural environment. Outdoor learning sessions can be delivered to link directly to the National Curriculum, complementing and extending the indoor curriculum. The outdoors provides excellent opportunities for collaborative group work, learning through questioning and practical activities, all in which thrive in the outdoor classroom. It is a child centred and child led programme that provides opportunities for children to use their personal learning style to complete activities. Children engage in motivating and achievable activities throughout the year and in almost all weathers.
Danemill Forest Schools
At Danemill Primary School, through our Forest School sessions, we hope to encourage independent, enthusiastic and creative learners who develop holistically through a well-planned and interesting child-centred outdoor learning approach. We aim to provide all children in Pre-School, EYFS, Year 1 and Year 2 with the opportunity to attend regular, stimulating Forest School sessions where the children can explore and learn from the natural world. Other year groups will also have the opportunity to explore the Forest School area at lunchtimes and with their class teacher. Our short term aim is to be able to provide official Forest School sessions, led by a Forest School Leader, for every year group so that everyone can experience the outdoor classroom. .
Danemill’s Forest School and Outdoor sessions aim to:
- Fulfil every child’s potential
- Develop a love of learning
- Create independent and confident learners
- Promote a secure, exciting and fascinating learning environment
- Promote children’s self-esteem
- Encourage independence
- Promote positive behaviours
- Create positive relationships with others (peers and adults)
- Develop cooperation skills
- Develop thinking skills in a different way
- Promote and provide rich learning opportunities to embed further Danemill’s Learning Characteristics – Bravery, Motivation, Collaboration, Curiosity, Resilience, Communication and Creativity.